Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Seventh Generation BlogSpark

AND THE WINNER IS.......


Dawn, your Seventh Generation cleaning pack is on it's way. Congratulations!


*********************************************************************************


Today was bathroom cleaning day.  Normally, that means slipping on the yellow rubber gloves and turning on all the exhaust fans.  Thanks to Seventh Generation and MyBlogSpark, I was able to change up my routine.

In the past I have always felt the need to don rubber gloves because I didn't like the dire warnings most cleaner labels include: avoid skin contact, in case of contact rinse thoroughly with clear water for 15 to 20 minutes, remove contaminated clothing.  I don't know about you, but those warnings scare me. 

Even with the exhaust fans running, I never seem to be able to escape the chemical fumes.  And the fumes always seem to linger long after I have finished cleaning.  I really don't like breathing in all those chemicals and I sure don't want my family breathing them in either.

Seventh Generation and the lovely folks at MyBlogSpark, recently sent me a “Disinfecting Cleaning Kit” that includes a disinfecting multi-surface cleaner, bathroom cleaner, wipes , a copy of The Conscious Kitchen by eco-lifestyle consultant and author, Alexandra Zissu, a cleaning caddy made from recycled plastic, and two rolls of 100% recycled, unbleached paper towels


The first thing that struck me was that I could not find any of the dire warnings printed anywhere on any of the packaging.  No "avoid skin contact."  No "in case of contact..."  The closest I found to a warning was the instruction to rinse any surface used in food preparation.  The Multi Surface Cleaner is safe enough to be used on children's toys.

The cleaners contain thymol, a component of the herb thyme.  They kill over 99.99 percent of germs* naturally and are effective against the Influenza A Virus, including H1N1.

So, they are safe to use, but are they effective?  I put them to the test in the bathrooms today. 

The cleaning wipes were thick and stood up to scrubbing the toilet seats and counters with out tearing.  Usually I need to use multiple wipes to get the job done, but the Seventh Generation wipes are generous in size and cleaner and I was able to use only one wipe per area.

The bathroom spray foams nicely straight from the sprayer.  It rinsed clean leaving no visible residue.  It didn't cut through the soap scum on the tubs the same way my current cleaner does but, thinking about it, if a chemical cleaner can cut through soap scum with no effort, what is it doing to my hands?  I am more than willing to trade a little more elbow grease for peace of mind.

I was more than satisfied with the results the Seventh Generation cleaners gave me.  But I don't want you to just take my word for it and neither do the folks at Seventh Generation and MyBlogSpark.  Not only have they generously provided me with the kit pictured above but they are also supplying another complete kit for one of you. 

Everyone who leaves a comment about how they have become more environmentally conscious will be entered to win a Seventh Generation gift pack like the one pictured.  I will use Random.org to select a winner this Friday, April 9, at 3 pm MST.

*See product label for full details

The "Disinfecting Cleaning Kit," information and prize pack were all provided by Seventh Generation through MyBlogSpark. 

4 comments:

  1. This is really ironic, because Bert and I saw a commercial for the Seventh Generation line of cleaning products last night and both said we should try that out. Our one bathroom has a door on to the back porch that I can open when cleaning, so that helps with the fumes, but our other bathroom only has a small window, so the fumes are horrible. The one thing we decided to do a few months ago was stop using paper plates. At first we said it would save us money, (and there's no need to buy them since we do have a dishwasher...it's not like I have to stand around and clean dishes!). Then we said it would cut down on the trash we have, at which point I then said "it would also help cut down on the trash in the dumps around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These products sound great. I have been trying to get our family to become more environmentally conscious by recycling,saving water, and using using safer products in our house including laundry detergent.I used to think it would cost more to buy environmentally friendly products but with keeping my eyes peeled for great products I have found that some are even cheaper. The next step is to stat recycling our magazines! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed from plastic water bottles to aluminum. I bought veggie bags that I'm going to rewash and reuse. I use reusable shopping bags. I shop at whole foods. I contribute to the environment through cause world. I get my books on kindle. Saves paper and transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to go more green with my cleaning products. This sounds like a line I need to try.

    ReplyDelete